Hair iron blamed for Narita airport suitcase fire
A suitcase on a flight arriving from Dallas, Texas, burst into flames during a transfer at Narita airport on Sunday, startling employees and sparking a police and fire department response. The flight was laying over at Narita on its way to Bangkok, said airport officials.
During the transfer, an airport employee noticed smoke emitting from the suitcase at around 2 p.m. and rushed to put out the fire with a hand-held extinguisher.
Police believe the suitcase, which belonged to a woman on the flight, contained a battery-powered hair iron and that the switch became toggled on as the suitcase was jostled during transfer.