TDK humidifier identified as cause of nursing home fire that killed 4
The president of electronics company TDK Corp said Friday that a TDK humidifier which was subject to recall was likely the cause of a fatal fire at a Nagasaki nursing care home for people with senile dementia.
On Feb 8, four elderly women died and several other elderly residents were injured in the fire at Bell House Higashiyamate.
TDK President Takehiro Kamigama held a news conference at which he apologized to the relatives of the those killed and said that it was highly probable the fire was caused by a faulty TDK KS-500H humidifier, TBS reported.
According to TDK, the model KS-500H humidifier, which was manufactured in 1998, had a defective heating unit inside. A TDK spokesperson said a product recall was announced in 1999 and that of the 20,000 units sold, about 25% still had not been returned, TBS reported.