samwatters's past comments

  • 1

    samwatters

    "Another point would be that the present grey population paid their due and expect to have it returned in full." They received their contributed amounts and then some. This is not because the elderly are bad or evil; just because they are living longer. But believe me; if we cut off pensions once the retired received the amount they paid in, it would be ugly. Really, really ugly. We have to accept the fact that Social Security/年金was never intended to fund decades of life.

    Posted in: Japan's population shrinks as elderly make up 25%

  • 1

    samwatters

    "The problem is the birthrate first and foremost, it hast to be at or above 2.33."

    I see your point but it will never happen. Thse days are gone for a long,long time if not forever.

    Posted in: Japan's population shrinks as elderly make up 25%

  • 0

    samwatters

    "The institute also reported that the number of individuals living on their own who marry late and those not getting married at all has increased and is expected to continue increasing, which will further exacerbate Japan’s aging population issues. "

    I do not wish to be callous but Japan must make a basic choice; cater to the elderly and spend vast amounts of resources on making sure that the Golden Years (or Golden Decades in Japan's case) are as worry-free as possible or start reallocating those resources to infrastructure that allows people to marry and have children. Right now most young people are avoiding marriage and/or children because they simply cannot afford raise a family and pay for the taxes needed to support the elderly and the numerous government agencies assigned to carry out those duties.

    Posted in: No. of elderly people living alone predicted to be 37% of population by 2035

  • 2

    samwatters

    I would like to conduct of survey of women and find out just how many of them actually want to work outside of the house.

    Posted in: IMF's Lagarde urges Japan to increase women's participation in work force

  • 4

    samwatters

    Wow! I'm definately seeing this!

    Posted in: Latest trailer of Hollywood remake of Godzilla released

  • 0

    samwatters

    Cleo said,"Make it easier for women to stay at home and care for their children instead of trying to make them feel guilty because they're not 'contributing to society' in the workplace.

    Link the 'free' pension to parenthood, eg., no need to pay kokumin nenkin premiums for (say) 10-12 years after the birth of a child. (The whole pension system needs a complete overhaul, but that's a separate topic).

    Tax childless couples as two single people. If one half of the couple chooses/can afford not to work, split the family income in two and tax the two halves separately. Able-bodied people who choose not to work should be required to pay full rate for pension premiums, health insurance, local tax.

    Make child-related expenses (clothing, books, education) exempt from consumption tax. Make the state contribution to medical expenses for kids 100%.

    Close down all the juku and make the school curriculum more flexible."

    @Cleo. When you decide to run for office may I volunteer for campaign staff? Great ideas!

    Posted in: What changes are needed in Japanese society to stem the falling birthrate?

  • 1

    samwatters

    @sensei258. Just adding to bass4funk and Tahoochi; glad to hear your son is OK. And thank you to your son for serving.

    Posted in: 4 dead, including gunman, after Fort Hood shooting

  • 2

    samwatters

    I watched NHK 9:00 News last night and they reported that the government is already considering raising the sales tax to 10% by next year October (although several economists have argued against it).

    Posted in: Abe defends sales tax increase

  • 0

    samwatters

    "So because you have in the past been told that bad stuff would happen which did not occur you feel you can logically deduce that every time someone says something bad will happen it will not? That isn't actually compelling evidence of anything."

    @senseiman.

    Rather, I think it is evidence that some of us folks who grew up in the 70's and 80's remember all the panic surrounding the events mentioned by JeffLee that never happened. We learned from these events that science is not exact and hardly objective.

    Posted in: U.N. panel: 8 reasons to worry about global warming

  • -3

    samwatters

    "It sure is. In my lifetime, I've been taught as gospel truth (in schools, etc) about a dozen doomsday scenarios, from the world's petroleum running out (by the late 80s), to acid rain destroying half our forests, to famines throughout East Asia. This was taught as truth, not speculation, either. We were actually tested and graded on these subjects!!! "

    Me,too.

    "Anyway, not a single doomsday scenario...not one....has ever occurred. That's pretty compelling evidence, wouldn't you say?"

    Yes!

    Posted in: U.N. panel: 8 reasons to worry about global warming

  • 2

    samwatters

    Someone at the UN didn't get the memo; it's called "climate change" due to the lack of consistent warming.

    Posted in: U.N. panel: 8 reasons to worry about global warming

  • 1

    samwatters

    @JohnGalt. Thanks! I like that story too.

    Posted in: Indonesia bans Hollywood epic 'Noah' over Islamic concerns

  • 4

    samwatters

    @Jimizo. You're correct; I probably should have said "catholics and protestants" or something similiar!

    "No, all the main religions seem to agree on the importance of putting others before yourself, humility, and a willingness to try and improve as a human being."

    @Lucabrasi. So well put! It's off topic but I have a wonderful story from my Detroit childhood that crystalizes what you just said. When I was in high school, I was asked to watch a four-year-old child in my neighborhood during the winter holidays while his mother and father went out to dinner with their grandfather who had flown in from overseas. I went to the child's house and while watching TV the boy saw a colorful (Christmas) tree and became very excited and wanted to make one of his own. I told him we couldn't cut down any trees but we could make one out of colored paper. So we did. About three hours later the boy's parents returned with their grandfather who just happened to be an Orthodox Jew from Tel Aviv. The boy immediately showed his colorful tree to his grandfather while the parents looked on in horror. The grandfather took the paper from his grandson and smiled and said, "This is most beautiful Christmas tree I have ever seen." WIth a kiss and a hug the boy went to bed all smiles. I tried to apologize to the grandfather for not being aware of the family's faith but the old man held up his hand and said to me something I will never forget, "Young man, I am a Jew but I am also a grandather and the measure of man is whether he chooses to be right or to be happy. And with my grandchild that is an easy choice."

    Posted in: Indonesia bans Hollywood epic 'Noah' over Islamic concerns

  • 0

    samwatters

    @Jimizo. I'm in the latter category you listed. But for the most part the Christians, Catholics, Jewish, Buddhists, etc. tend to be respectful of eachothers' beliefs.

    Posted in: Indonesia bans Hollywood epic 'Noah' over Islamic concerns

  • 0

    samwatters

    @Thanks, I now understand the confusion regarding "sick" vs. "metnally ill." And thanks for the source of the other info!

    Posted in: 2-year-old girl stabbed with fork in Okayama park

  • 0

    samwatters

    @slumdog. Thank you, I stand corrected.

    Posted in: 2-year-old girl stabbed with fork in Okayama park

  • 1

    samwatters

    @Frungy. Three points. 1.) Thank you for leting me know that posts have been deleted. I didn't know that and it makes your stance more understandable. 2.) None of the information (age, lose of job, clean record, etc.) is mentioned in any of your previous posts currently on this board. 3.) Where did this information come from? It did not come from the article. Do you know Okamoto? Did you read a different article? Did you see something on TV? PLease cite a source.

    Also, Frungy wrote: "You have also misrepresented what I wrote, accusing me of attributing this to mental illness." Frungy also wrote: "...those crying out for the death penalty are as sick as this guy (Okamoto)."

    I assumed you were talking about mental illness when you said "sick." Was I incorrect?

    Posted in: 2-year-old girl stabbed with fork in Okayama park

  • 3

    samwatters

    Sadly, I think it will be the next big business opportunity. As retirement funds dry up people will begin to choose a relatively fast and painless death over a slow decent into poverty, sickness and starvation.

    Posted in: What is your stance on assisted suicide?

  • 3

    samwatters

    @Frungy. I think you need to sharpen your critical reading skills.

    Frungy wrote: "And my issue was with people demanding the death penalty based on the same article." What people? Unless the moderator has deleted posts I haven't seen, nobody on this thread has demanded the death penalty. Elbuda Mexicano wrote that Okamoto was "a great candidate for the death penalty" which is hardly demanding someone be executed. Furthermore Elbuda also received 10 dislike votes for his comment. In addition to you, I counted three other posters who support treatment for Okamoto's (unproven) mental illness.

    Frungy wrote: "You take issue with my comments saying that there isn't sufficient evidence to demand the death penalty..." No...I...don't. I take issue with your stating that Okamoto has virtually no chance of committing violent acts in the future and will likely be rehabilitated. And you still didn't answer my question as to how you came to those conclusions!

    Frungy wrote: "and by not commenting on the death penalty advocates who did exactly the same thing you are, in effect, supporting the death penalty in this case." No.....I...am....not. I am not advocating the death penalty in this case. I am advocating rational discussion based on information rather than emotional ejaculations. You and few other posters seem to believe that any act of violence is proof of mental illness. I can't quote the author but I will borrow the quote, "we are all entitled to our opinions but not our own facts."

    Posted in: 2-year-old girl stabbed with fork in Okayama park

  • 0

    samwatters

    @Frungy. I am not advocating the death penalty for Okamoto. In fact my issue with your post has nothing to do with the death penalty.  My questions regarding Okamoto's past/future crimes were rhetorical. My issue is with your sweeping statements about an assault that was summarized in a 100-200 word article. Here are two examples.

    "Execution is only an option when rehabilitation is unlikely to be successful and there's a high probability of the person re-offending and taking other lives, in other words if the chance of salvaging one life is outweighed by a plausible risk to multiple lives.... that isn't the situation here,"

    You clearly state that "....isn't the situation." How do you know?

    "There is every reason to believe that Okamoto has a good prospect of rehabilitation."

    Based on what?

    Posted in: 2-year-old girl stabbed with fork in Okayama park

View all