The Tokyo Public Safety Council on Friday said the so-called “pedestrian paradise” in the Akihabara district on weekends will be suspended following last Sunday’s stabbing spree in which seven people were killed.
According to the council, local merchants and community organizations requested the suspension in the aftermath of the killings. The council said the suspension would be indefinite.
The pedestrian paradise was introduced in 1973. However, even before last Sunday’s attacks, locals had been complaining for some time about some of the sexually explicit photo events on the street.